Political campaigning goes digital
Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Political campaigning goes digital
Political Campaigning Goes
Internet is fast becoming the medium of election
communication as political parties across the world are
logging on to the Internet and it is impacting the political
system and voting behaviors. An interesting
phenomenon in political communication is the use of
social networking sites like Facebook, YouTube and
Twitter, that are being used as a means of election
campaigning. While the popularity of Internet is
increasing in the West, elections in Asian countries are
also fast adopting these new technologies.
• Political campaigning and The Internet
• What is the role of Internet in Political campaigning
• Other digital media to support online political
• Supported Stats
Political Campaigning and The Internet
• Always Available
• Wide range of current information
• Less expensive than other media commercials
• Social Media
• Viral and Mass media messaging
• Niche Audience
• Poor Bandwidth
• Less Penetration
Role of Internet in Political Campaigning
• Publishing Campaign websites.
• Emailing the newsletters, events and schedules.
• Integrating Social Media (Face-
book, Twitter, YouTube).
• Registration Volunteer Membership.
• Fund Raising.
• Mapping Polling Places
Internet makes way for better targeting the audience by
Your campaign website is your online campaign
headquarters. The campaign website should have:
• A way to contact the campaign.
• A way to sign up for e-mails and/or text message
• A way for people to volunteer.
• Information about the candidate and the race.
• Integration with social
media(FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube)
• Issue positions, map, polling place locations, etc.
•Online Subscription to party publication
•Links to Homepages/ Partisan websites
•Links to Politician‘s personal websites
•Links to Party Institutions
•Links to media
•Feedback, Discussion Board
•Campaign Diary/ Blogs/
•Online Chat rooms/ Opinion polls
•Banner Home, Pop-ups
•Targeting ex-pat voters, Targeting constituency
•Join an email update list,
•Send an e-Card.
Campaign Websites – Best Features
• An E-mail list and opt-in options on your website.
• A 3rd-party API to process and send bulk E-mails
• Clear, concisely written E-mail “blasts” to send to
• A stable spam filter, ignoring it could get you
• Easy way for people to UNSUBSCRIBE
E-Mail communication is a valuable tool to help gain
new volunteers and keep your constituents updated.
To operate a good e-mail program, you need:
• Campaign organizers to thoroughly understand the
interests of their demographical fan-base.
• Promoting their plans/policies.
• Connecting to young voters via online debates and
• Sharing videos and photos.
• Conducting online surveys/ polling on contemporary
Social Media has proved that it is the best communication
tool of choice for quickly mobilizing masses, helps in
• Recruit volunteers and train them
• Give individual tasks and make them follow on their
• Motivate them to organize local meetings.
• Ask them to update the performance feedback to
• Encourage them to collect voter opinion data.
This program always plays a essential role in political
campaigning, where parties can
Volunteer Membership - Functional
• Online Payment gateway (credit card/ net banking).
• IPhone and Android based micro sites.
• Mobile messaging.
• Online fundraising tools.
• Social Networking.
In India, fundraising plays a large role in getting a
candidate elected to public office. It can be done
• Google Maps
• Segmental Polling area identification
• Route Maps to polling places
• Route Directions to Polling places.
These tools helps in giving geographical information
about polling places online
Statistics - Internet
Demographic Users in Millns
Type of Internet in Millns
Broadband PC 14
Mobile Internet 52
Data Stick 34
Internet Usage in %
Social Media 61
Statistics – Social Media
Social Media users in Millions
FaceBook users age wise
FaceBook users gender wise
Statistics – Mobile
AP Demographic Users
AP Mobile Subscribers density wise
Rank Operator Total Subs Active Subs
1 Airtel 18.3 17.3
2 Idea 10 9.3
3 BSNL 9 6.7
4 Reliance 9.5 5.4
5 Tata 7.6 4.9
6 Vodafone 6.4 4.5
7 Aircel 1.6 1.2
8 Others 4.4 2.5
Statistics – AP Political
Total Voters 55811069
Total Population 84665533