a small presentation about Ganga rejuvenation
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Namami gange
By-Magham Bhanu Pradeep
Why Ganga Action Plan?
• The Ganga is the largest river in India with an extraordinary
religious importance for Hindus. Situated along its banks
are some of the world's oldest inhabited cities like Varanasi
and Patna. It provides water to about 40% of India's
population across 11 states, serving an estimated
population of 500 million people or more, which is larger
than any other river in the world.
• Ganga is ranked fifth among the most polluted rivers in the
• There is some scientific evidence for the Ganga river’s high
capacity to assimilate (i.e. biodegrade) a large level of
organic waste input, including pathogens.
What happens if we oversee?
• Chromium based industrial waste causes Threat to
• Skin infection caused by polluted water
• An analysis of the Ganga water in 2006 showed
significant associations between water-borne/enteric
disease pop and the use of the river for bathing,
laundry, washing, eating, cleaning utensils, and
• Water in the Ganga has been correlated to contracting
dysentery, cholera, hepatitis, as well as severe
diarrhea which continues to be one of the leading
causes of death of children in India
What are the causes for Ganga
Necessary steps to be taken…
• Arresting Domestic waste (feces/soap water/
• Solution for Burnt/unburnt dead bodies
• River Offerings and spitting / urinating/
defecating at Ghats must be controlled.
• Govt. must invest on giving proper awareness
with respect to the conducting at river places.
Controlling the Industrial wastes
• The identified units will have to be given
notices for alteration for controlling the waste
• The proper function units should be duly
recognized and awarded. If found guilty again,
these units should be re-located away from
Timeline of programs done by govt.
•Launched in 1985,
expenditure 450 crores
What Govt. Is doing now?
• A number of initiatives have been undertaken to clean
the river but failed to deliver desired results.After
getting elected, India's Prime minister Narendra
Modi affirmed to work for cleaning the river and
controlling Pollution. Subsequently, number of
initiatives have been undertaken to clean the river but
failed to deliver desired results.After getting elected,
India's Prime minister Narendra Modi affirmed to work
for cleaning the river and controlling Pollution.
Subsequently, Namami Ganga project was announced
by the Government in July 2014 budget. Namami
Ganga project was announced by the Government in
July 2014 budget.
What we can do?
• Namami Gange , programme launched by our
PM Narendra Modi, invites all of us to take
part in the cleansing of Ganga.
• IITR is playing a major role in making The
National Ganga River Basin Management
• Clean ganga fund is accepting donations from
us to take part in the program.