NACDEP 2015 - Are we entrepreneurs?
Report on A/B title testing of educational videos and materials for small business owners and entrepreneurs. Goal is finding the best way to help the owner start and grow the business.
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - NACDEP 2015 - Are we entrepreneurs?
Are We Entrepreneurs?
Using Ourselves as a Case Study to Measure the
Impact of Extension’s Web-Based Entrepreneurship
As the world
evolve at an
pace, we must do
Does It Matter to:
The Coming Digital Tipping Point. (2012) Mission Extension: The Weblog, Langcuster, J.
Is Extension Ready to Adopt Technology for Delivering Programs and
Reaching new Audiences. Diem, K. G., Hino, J., Martin, D., & Meisenbach, T. (2011) Journal of
Extension, 49(6), Article 6FEA1
Extension’s Online Presence: Are Land-Grant Universities Promoting the
Tripartite Mission? - Arnold, Shannon; Hill, Alexandra & Bailey, Nikki (2014) Journal of Extension, 52(4),
Internet Use for Small Businesses: Does It Matter? – Gallardo, Roberto & Jacobs, Austin.
(2012) Journal of Extension, 50(6), Article 4RIB6.
• GOAL - Strengthen and support entrepreneurs and
small business owners
– An extension of eXtension COP - Entrepreneurs and Their
• How do we enhance the business owners experience?
• How can we engage the owners in the conversation?
• What topics are of most interest?
• What format/s do they most prefer?
This We Believe
People are busy!
People only have so much time!
People want to learn!
People learn when they have to!
People want to learn one thing at a time!
1. Chats with other business owners
• Coffee-break sized chunks
(15 minutes or less)
3. Social Media
4. Curated Content
POB Newsletter - http://powerofbusiness.net/tips-and-
5. Focus of Session - Measure Impact
• Experience the tools that
business owners are using
• Begin learning what information is
• This example – Use of A/B
• Also using Google Analytics and
A/B Title Testing
7 Videos Developed
Each video also had a
What is A/B Testing?
A/B testing involves experimenting with at
least two variations of the same message to
see which one has the best conversion rate.
• The 7 Topics
• Living with Purpose and Meaning in Rural Areas
• The Gig Economy
• The Decentralized Marketplace
– Time Management
– Mobile Security
• One topic per week
• Each topic given 2 titles
A/B Testing: Same Video, Same Hashtags,
Same Time; But, Different Titles
Online or via Texting
PollEv.com/glennmuske795 – Website
Text GLENNMUSKE795 to 37607 once to
– Title A: Standing Out From the Competition
– Title B: Marketing and Your Small Business
– Title A: Connecting with Others Brings Business
Success: Are You Engaged?
– Title B: Effective Networking: A Key Success Factor
• Time Management
– Title A: Don't Have Time? Think Again!
– Title B: Finding More Time - Learning to Prioritize!
– Title A: Mobile Security Tips to Help You Be Safe!
– Title B: Are You Keeping Your Mobile Devices
– Title A: 4 Things Entrepreneurs Need to Know About the
– Title B: #GigEconomy - Mega Trend Influencing Businesses in Rural
• Purpose and Meaning
– Title A: What Entrepreneurs Need to Know About Living with
Purpose and Meaning
– Title B: Living with Purpose and Meaning: Mega-Trend Influencing
Businesses in Rural Areas
– Title A: What Entrepreneurs Need to Know About Working in a
– Title B: The Decentralized Marketplace: Megatrend Influencing
Businesses in Rural Areas
The Rest of the Plan
Goal –Utilize same description, same video, same
hashtags, at same times to same audiences –
– Trying to eliminate variance
• 4 Team members pushed information 6 social media
– Facebook - 4
– Twitter - 4
– Pinterest - 2
– Blogs - 4
– Google+ - 1
– LinkedIn – 3
We learned a lot, including
how much we don’t know!
• Everything takes two or three times longer than expected
• It’s important to have a team.
– People - Tech experts, Graphic designers, Web Analytics
• That is committed and ready to make project a priority.
– Financial support and Time
– Constant change of people raise havoc with schedule
• Need to be able to have focused time on our calendar.
• Platforms – University software versus Industry standards
– Transition from different platforms and that require “pro”
versions to do what we wanted to do would have saved
• May have been better to have people randomly
see either one or the other of the two titles. In
our case they would see both within a short
period of time.
• Larger pool of people seeing the posts would
have provided stronger results
• Millennials are great!
• Time commitments – Clear out part of your
• Allow plenty of lead time for creation of
product and timeline
• Grants are nice but be prepared to wait for
the bureaucracy to get them processed and
the money actually in your hands.
• Need to keep up with trends but not get
taken in by “today’s” new tool
• Team learning works
• Need to learn to write and think differently
• Universities aren’t as nimble as small
• Platform selection, wordpress.com versus
wordpress.org, delayed use of Google
• Effort showed how teams can become a
“personal knowledge network” (PKN)
Working Differently Example
– 1 hour presentation -
– 4 page fact sheet
– 15 minute video -
– Traditional 2-page fact sheet
– 5 minute video -
– 2 page bulleted fact sheet -
• Everything took longer than planned!
Pre 4/13/15 4/21/15 4/28/15 5/4/15 5/11/15 5/18/15 5/25/15
4/7/15 10 28 11 2 0
13 33 12 1 0
13 19 3 2
12 44 7 2
11 30 4
10 17 6
ed Mkt A
5/4/15 16 0
Downloads of PDF’s
• Invest in Social Media Specialists
– Analytics continuously becoming more complex
• Consider For-Pay Promotions and Analysis
– A considerable amount of time was invested in
promotion for very little return
• PKNs work but having an expert guide the
experience allows learning to move quicker
– However you don’t have option to learn from your
• Tools to Use for A/B Testing
– Mail Chimp
– Google Analytics Experiments
– Optimizely $$
– Kissmetrics $$
– VWO $$
– 10 Unique Tests for Every Social Media Channel -
• What topics are you finding that are of
interest and attract an audience online?
• What tools are working to get the message
• How are you getting people engaged?
• How can we all work smarter and not harder?
• Are we quick or nimble
• Do we have the support we
need when we need it?
Can and how do we compete
with the private sector?
• 11 Content Marketing Statistics You Should Care
• Which Stats Matter: The Definitive Guide to Tracking
Social Media Metrics https://blog.bufferapp.com/definitive-guide-
• Google Analytics Academy
• Five Pyschological Examples of High Converting
• Five Unique Ways to Measure and Evaluate a Social
Media Campaign https://blog.bufferapp.com/how-to-evaluate-and-
• How to Increase Your Facebook Conversions Using
Google Analytics http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/increase-facebook-
• Benchmarking Performance: Your Options, Dos, Don’ts
and To-Die-Fors - http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/benchmarking-digital-
• Four Online Marketing Metrics that Actually Matter
• Evaluating Your Social Media Activity in Extension
• North Central Regional Center for Rural
– Grant Funding was Critical
• Alyssa Day-Intern Extraordinaire!
• UNL Media
• Power of Business Team
• Everyone who Retweeted, Favorited and
• Glenn Muske – firstname.lastname@example.org
• Connie Hancock – email@example.com
• Connie Reimers-Hild –