Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Pompeii analysis
The Codes and Conventions
• This music video is a hybrid of performance and narrative. The
narrative being that a man is running from the impending doom that
is becoming the same as everyone, which is represented by the
blackness of their eyes. The performance being the vocalist singing in
different locations for example, on a car bonnet and in a desert.
• The editing of the video is mainly not in time with the tempo of the
song or rather just off time to the beat but there are moments when
the editing matches the beat.
• There’s a range of shot types used in this video including the
establishing shot at the beginning of the video. Other than that there
is the usual close up, medium long shot, long shot and tracking shot.
There’s also a use of extreme close up , extreme long shot and low
angle shots of the main protagonist in the video.
• One noticeable camera work in this video is the off centeredness of
the subject in a lot of shots. In fact most shots are off centered except
for a few shots that show us the other people in the video.
• There is also a noticeable amount of camera shaking in the video
• The overall editing in the video is quite slow and a bit jagged which
fits the music somewhat. Since the editing doesn’t sync with the beat
of the music, it just seems a bit random with the timing.
• One key feature the editing brings to the video is a motive for the
narrative progression. With the use of the editing, the narrative is
created when this man is trying to escape being the same as
everyone else. We can see this by all the people he passes have one
thing in common, the dark hollowed eyes.
The Iconography/Star Construction
• In this video, you wouldn’t think that Bastille was a band but rather a
solo artist. This is because this video shows nothing of the other band
members and only the main vocalist who is included in both the
performance and the narrative aspects of the video.
• The image of the vocalist is typical in the genre of music this band is
categorised in (Indie Rock). The brown leather jacket, dark jeans with
stood up/ gelled hair are within the style of Indie Rock.