Preview of Presentation to NCE-MSTL
Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Preview of Presentation to NCE-MSTL
Self-Study Action Research
12-13 August 2013
1McDonagh, Sullivan, Roche and Glenn 2013
Who we are
• Dr. Mary Roche
• Dr. Máirín Glenn
• Dr. Bernie Sullivan
• Dr. Caitriona
2McDonagh, Sullivan, Roche and Glenn 2013
Action research for NCE-MSTL
You are required to undertake an
action research project in the area of
mathematics education during the
academic year 2013-2014, and to
submit an action research paper
documenting your project and your
learning throughout the process.
3McDonagh, Sullivan, Roche and Glenn 2013
Aims of session
• To revisit the basic principles of action
• To explore practical examples of action
• To begin the process of planning and
organising your project
• To develop practical ideas for writing up your
research report (See Handouts)
4McDonagh, Sullivan, Roche and Glenn 2013
Action research is about
practical outcomes, and
also about creating new
blind, just as theory
without action is
meaningless.” 5McDonagh, Sullivan, Roche and Glenn 2013
As Reason and Bradbury
(2001: 2) explain, “the
primary purpose of
action research is to
knowledge that is
useful to people in
the everyday conduct
of their lives.
McDonagh, Sullivan, Roche and Glenn 2013 6
Based on Handout
DEVELOPING PRACTICAL IDEAS FOR WRITING UP YOUR
To get started
2 min activity
• Ask yourself: Can I
name one thing that is
really important to me
in my teaching of
• What do I care
• What kind of difference
do I want to make in my
• Discuss your ideas with
your neighbour. You
may write your answers
on your Developing
Practical Ideas sheet.
McDonagh, Sullivan, Roche and Glenn 2013 7
The action/reflection process
• What issue am I interested in researching?
• Why do I want to research this issue?
• What kind of data can I gather to show why I am interested in
• What can I do? What will I do?
• What kind of evidence can I generate to show that I am having
• How can I explain that influence?
• How can I ensure that any judgements I might make are
reasonably fair and accurate?
• How will I change my practice in the light of my evaluation?
(based on McNiff and Whitehead 2011)
8McDonagh, Sullivan, Roche and Glenn 2013
Think of a lesson that
went well for you in the
last year or so.
Why was this important to
Share your ideas in pairs.
Think of one word to
McDonagh, Sullivan, Roche and Glenn 2013 9
10McDonagh, Sullivan, Roche and Glenn 2013
interviews with Jack
To learn more, contact us at