Napsg General Presentation
This is a general description of the Foundation and it\'s role and activities.
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Napsg General Presentation
National Alliance for
Public Safety GIS
A consortium of national
organizations representing local
government, public safety, and
health professionals with a shared
vision of advancing the effective
use of GIS for public safety.
• Operational arm supporting the Alliance
• Independent organization with separate
Board of Directors and governance
• 501(c)(3) non-profit
• Supports and advances the vision of the
• Focus on developing and deploying
projects at the local and regional levels
…to serve as a unified voice in the
advancement of public safety
education and research that
overcomes challenges facing the
public safety community in
implementing GIS programs that
effectively support local and national
• Develop a national professional GIS preparedness capability
for public safety.
• Support state and local emergency response communities in
the use of GIS for disaster preparedness and response, data
gathering, & sharing infrastructure protection and other
homeland security priorities.
• Support the goals of existing state and federal geospatial data
• Encourage and enhance the coordination of emergency
operations related GIS activities.
• Provide subject matter expertise to agencies involved in the
development of collaborative models, grants and
programmatic initiatives for public safety agencies.
• Support research and partnerships for full-scale project
implementation and in-depth evaluations.
• Supported development of “How to Build a
GIS for Your Fire Department”
• Scoped plan to deliver a fire GIS training and
mentorship program focused on tactical uses
• Delivery of 6 Fire/EMS User Group Meetings
throughout the US
• Coordinated with DHS Science & Technology
Directorate to set-up the GIS Working Group
under the Virtual USA initiative.
– Facilitated the development of a framework for a
“National Strategy to Operationalize GIS”
• Convene selected public safety leaders to hold a “GIS
for Public Safety Training Summit”
– Purpose: to determine public safety needs (and plan to
address needs) for training around GIS
• Coordinate the prototype development of a “Capability
& Readiness Assessment Tool”
– Purpose: locals will use the web-based tool to evaluate
their existing GIS capabilities, identify gaps, and determine
• Deliver a Spring 2010 series of Fire/EMS GIS User
• Support existing and new state and local GIS-related
projects that advance operational use
• Continue to support DHS with the Virtual USA GIS
National Alliance for Public Safety GIS
POC – Rebecca Harned