Kingsley sawyerr's resume 2016 (word copy)
I am a petroleum and energy lawyer with a holistic understanding of oil & gas legal advisory, contract management and transactional practice, gained via intellectual, legal practice and in-house legal counsel experiences. My work experiences have endowed my broad spectrum appreciation of the upstream and downstream sectors, as well as diverse service level arrangements in the oil and gas industry from a global comparative analogy. These have enabled my delivery of diverse contracts and agreements covering various transactional phases from inception/discussion/negotiation, to drafting, vetting and closing with a mutually agreed document for proper administration/management. My experience has further developed my skills in legal research, risk management, due diligence, regulatory compliance, dispute resolution and document control/storage/management, as well as applicable ancillary services.
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Kingsley sawyerr's resume 2016 (word copy)
Contact Address: 40A Modupe Young St, Thomas Estate, Ajah, Lagos.
State of Origin: Bayelsa
Date of Birth: May 1, 1978
Marital Status: Married
Qualification: LL. B (Hons, Ibadan), LL.M (Dundee, U.K)
• University of Dundee (Centre for Energy, Petroleum, Mineral Law and Policy
(CEPMLP), Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom.
Master of Laws (LL.M; Petroleum & Energy Law and Policy) Sept. 2006
- June 2008
• Nigeria Law School
Certificate of Call-to-Bar June
2002 – July 2003
• University of Ibadan
Bachelor of Law (LL.B, Hons.) August 1995 –
• Oil & Gas
• Power & Energy sectors
• Corporate & Commercial transactions
• Mergers & Acquisitions
• Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) transactions
I have a holistic understanding of oil & gas legal advisory, contract management and
transactional practice, gained via intellectual, legal practice and in-house legal counsel
experiences. My work experiences have endowed my broad spectrum appreciation of the
upstream and downstream sectors, as well as diverse service level arrangements in the oil and
gas industry from a global comparative analogy. These have enabled my delivery of diverse
contracts and agreements covering various transactional phases from
inception/discussion/negotiation, to drafting, vetting and closing with a mutually agreed
document for proper administration/management. My experience has further developed my
skills in legal research, risk management, due diligence, regulatory compliance, dispute
resolution and document control/storage/management, as well as applicable ancillary services.
Nigdel United Oil Company Limited (Operator of OPL 233 Concession):
Manager; Legal Services & Company Secretary (December 2012 to Date)
• Develops, contributes and directs the formulation of legal strategy, plans and budgets,
administration and management of the company’s legal department.
• Provides internal training and mentorship initiatives on all legal issues to company staff for
the promotion of team building, intellectual capacity development, appreciation and
application of international best practices in all procedures and deliverables.
• Well-informed with regular up-to-date tab on all regulatory issues covering Acts, Laws,
Regulations, Directives, Notices and Updates with all related and affiliate regulatory bodies
in the oil and gas sector for compliance.
o Under core oil and gas, these include NNPC, NAPIMS, DPR, Nipex, Hyson Nigeria
Limited/Vitol, NPDC, and Nigerian Content Development & Monitoring Board.
o In the maritime sector, NIMASA & NIWA.
o In the environmental sector, Federal & State Ministry of the Environment.
o Other related sectors covering lands, power, pipelines and third-party access for
pipelines, as well as the National Office for Technology Transfer and Acquisition
(NOTAP), Federal and State Inland Revenue Services, Labour and Productivity and
Financial sectors, including Federal and State security services agencies.
Corporate & Commercial Legal Advisory:
• Provides internal / external legal advisory services on all matters related to the company’s
Joint Venture / Operations arrangement with its financial and technical partners in respect
of the Joint Operations Agreement, Farm-In Agreement and subsisting Production Sharing
Contract with the NNPC.
• Formulates, advices, drafts and vets/reviews, render opinions on all relationships,
agreements and contractual issues/documentation with vendors, contractors, and other
• Actively takes the lead role in diverse contractual issues covering negotiation, advisory,
drafting, vetting, closure, execution and management.
• Active member the Joint Operating Team’s Contract Evaluation Committee (CEC).
• Handled and delivered on the following agreements from inception to execution and
Environmental Impact Assessment agreement
Seabed Hazard Survey Agreement
3D OBC Seismic Data Acquisition agreement
3D OBC Seismic Data Processing agreement
3D OBC Seismic Data Interpretation agreement
Seismic Data Services Management agreement
Farm-In / Farm-Out agreements
Joint Operating Agreements
Production Sharing Contracts
Various Brokerage agreements covering vessels, charter and services
Various Consultancy agreements
Crude Handling agreements
Various Service Level agreements
Gas Sale agreement
Others including applicable Addenda
• Maintains proper custody of all legal documents for record and reference purposes.
• Provides legal advice on subsisting, existing and potential liabilities covering contractual,
financial and technical matters on behalf of the company.
• Advises, contributes and partakes in all bidding and tender processes with contractors as
well as reviewing of all commercial and technical submissions prior to award of contracts.
• Works in collaboration with the company’s external solicitors and legal representatives on
all legal advisory, diverse documents and dispute resolution matters.
Company Secretarial Services:
Convening and conducting meetings of the company, preparation of minutes of meeting,
filing of all regulatory/compliance documents at Corporate Affairs Commission and other
General legal advisory services to the Board of Directors of the company, as well as advising
on global best practices in the business/operations of company in tandem with the
company’s Anti-Bribery & Corruption Policy.
Liaison on diverse subjects between the Managing Director, Chairman of the Board and
other Executives/Non-Executive Directors of company.
Advising on international and local best practices in corporate governance and risk
management for company.
Handling all immigration related processes and documentation such as application and
obtainment of Expatriate Quota, Business Permit, Subject to Regularization Visas, Combined
Expatriate Residence Permit and Aliens Cards with the appropriate regulatory bodies.
Advising on most appropriate business structures/entities and incorporation of
subsidiary/affiliate companies and other business entities in Nigeria and foreign
jurisdictions for strategic business expansion purposes.
• Member of the Joint Operations ‘Joint Operating Team’ (JOT), Technical Committee,
Contract Evaluation Committee (CEC), Contract Management Committee (CMC) and
Strategy Committee in line with provisions of the Joint Operating and Farm-In Agreements.
• Secretary to the Joint Operations ‘Management Committee’ with the following
responsibilities amongst others;
o Convening and conducting of all Joint Operations meetings, with appropriate
o Taking of Minutes of Meeting and circulation of same
o Conducting of Voting Procedures
o Records of all Votes, Minutes and Notices
o Drafting, execution and circulation of all Resolutions
• Actively involved in the company’s strategy planning, budget & work program approvals
and execution of diverse phases of the development of OPL 233.
• Involved in all contracts and tendering processes towards insuring due process and timely
progress, including preparation and issuance of applicable documentation, organization of
tenders and contracts clarification meetings, organization of corporate correspondence and
filing of relevant documents with NIPEX and other regulators.
• Actively involved in all meetings and deliberations with NAPIMS’ Sub-Committee,
Technical Committee and Management Committee on annual work programme budget and
approvals in compliance with provisions of the PSC.
• Handles all external correspondences on behalf of the company for quality assurance,
proper procedure and documentation.
• Works in collaboration with other departments including technical, financial, business
development, planning, human resources and administration on diverse subject matters.
• Regularly attends diverse oil and gas conferences, seminars and trainings, both within
Nigeria and abroad on behalf of the company towards adopting and adapting to changes,
new developments, innovations and initiatives in tandem with industry best practice.
• Works in collaboration with the company’s subsidiary entities involved in diverse oil and
gas engineering services, well drilling activities (in partnership with foreign technical
partners), logistics and support services, catering services, procurement, dredging services
and equipment leasing services.
• Handles all other ancillary matters covering finance, technical, business development as
well as human resources and personnel development as required by the company and its
Aina Blankson LP (Solicitors): Head; Power & Energy Practice.
Senior Associate (June 2010 – November 2012)
• Consistently played a leading role in the firm’s Oil and Gas department’s transactions
covering legal advisory and projects structuring, negotiations, drafting, reviewing,
rendering opinions as well as advising on capital raise & funding, structuring consortiums
and prospective partnerships including local content issues.
• Worked closely with the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board
(“NCDMB”) on various local content issues covering:
o Development of various guidelines, practice and procedures
o Involved in the structuring of the Nigerian Content Development Fund
o Consistently advised on all local content matters covering compliance and local
o Member of team that developed various monitoring and enforcement strategies for
the NCDMB in line with international best practice.
• Consistently involved in all Power/Electricity sector transactions of the firm covering:
o Licensing & permits for generation, transmission and distribution
o Worked in collaboration with Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC)
o Provided diverse services in collaboration with the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory
• Consistently provided diverse regulatory / advisory and compliance services with various
regulatory bodies, namely; NCDMB, NNPC, NAPIMS, CAC, Nigerian Maritime
Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), and
DPR amongst others.
• Involved in various capacities in diverse Corporate/Commercial transactions including
Mergers & Acquisitions, capital raise (debt & equity) and funds structuring, and
• Carried out various ancillary services as required by clients and the Board of Partners.
Office of the Public-Private Partnership (PPP); Government of Bayelsa State.
Head, Legal Services; (May 2009 – May 2010)
• Provided legal advisory services relating to all prospective investments and investors whilst
protecting government’s interests and liabilities.
• Vetted, reviewed as well as advised on all proposals on diverse projects from private sector
• Actively involved in all phases of negotiations with prospective investors.
• Worked closely with other departments and entities to establish project viability, financial
capacity as well as technical capacity of the projects and investors.
• Advised, vetted and reviewed all draft MOUs, various agreements as well as project
• Carried out due diligence with the CAC and other relevant regulatory bodies for all
• Liaised with the Office of the Honourable Attorney General & Commissioner for Justice
towards signing of all MOUs and contracts.
• Worked closely with the State Executive Council towards signing of various
agreements/contracts by His Excellency, The Executive Governor of Bayelsa State.
• Resorted to various dispute settlement mechanisms including litigation, arbitration and
mediation amongst others for dispute settlement.
• Carried on diverse ancillary services.
Special Assistant (S.A) on Oil, Gas, Environment and Ecology to the Honourable
Attorney- General & Commissioner for Justice, Bayelsa State.
(July 2008 – August 2009)
• Worked closely with the State owned Bayelsa Oil Company (BOC) for the provision of
various legal advisory services.
• Led the team that advised, negotiated and rendered opinions on diverse oil, gas and power
transactions involving various MDAs and communities, individuals and companies.
• Worked closely with the Ministry of Environment regarding monitoring and compliance
with various environmental issues and effective implementation of all set environmental
standards in tandem with applicable laws.
• Initiated legal opinions to the government, its organs and agencies towards influencing
legislation, policy formulation and programmes to appraise, monitor, manage and conserve
• Monitored and evaluated environmental pollution incidents; produced reports towards
establishing cause, extent and remediation as well as adequate compensation for affected
victims and communities.
• Handled, negotiated, interfaced, advised and made recommendations for proper dispute
settlement processes on behalf of the government and communities involving oil
exploration and producing companies.
• Served in various government committees as secretary and legal adviser with respect to oil,
gas and environmental issues and preparing reports on decisions reached for onward
communication to different MDAs and His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Bayelsa
• Carried out various ancillary services as directed by the Honourable Attorney-General.
Ballantyne Taylor Solicitors, London, United Kingdom; Registered Foreign
March 2005 – August 2006
• Drafted and reviewed various commercial agreements and documents.
• Advised companies on “doing business in Nigeria”, risk management and mitigation via the
application of local knowledge with respect to prospective partnerships, company
incorporation, labour issues as well as local content issues.
• Involved in various immigration matters and conveyance transactions
• Carried on visits to various prisons and detention centres on client’s relationship.
• Carried on detailed sessions with clients for debriefs on their matters and writing
comprehensive memos in this regard.
• Carried on various assignments as advised by the Partners and other associates.
Pinnacle Solicitors, Hammersmith, London, United Kingdom; Registered Foreign
September 2004 – January 2005
• Drafted and reviewed various commercial agreements including service agreements,
property and equipment lease and maintenance agreements amongst others.
• Actively sat-in for several arbitration proceedings for learning and guidance purposes.
• Handled diverse immigration, naturalization and conveyance matters including mortgage
foreclosure and property investigation.
• Carried on various assignments as advised by the Partners and associates.
Ineh Oil Limited, Port-Harcourt, Rivers State; National Youth Service Corps
September 2003 – August 2004
• Provided legal support at company meetings.
• Involved in the advice, negotiation and acquisition of proposed site for construction of
• Advised on tenders received for the construction of company’s Jetty.
• Drafted, negotiated and interpreted agreements relating to sale, lease of real estate, facilities
and equipment, property, taxation matters and collective and individual employment
• Carried out general company secretarial duties.
• Carried out all regulatory compliance issues with DPR, NAPIMS, and NNPC.
Seminars and Workshops attended
• Workshop on Drafting, Documentation, Negotiation and Management of Oil & Gas
Contracts (ESQ Seminars, Lagos, June 2011)
• Global Local Content Summit, London, United Kingdom, September, 2011.
• Practical Nigerian Content Conference, Port-Harcourt, Rivers State. October, 2011.
• “Professional Training Standards to Drive Nigerian Content Development in the Oil and
Gas Industry”: organised by Oil and Gas Trainers Association of Nigeria, Lagos, November
• Nigerian Content Summit: Port-Harcourt, Rivers State. June 2012.
• Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, USA- 2013 & 2014.
• World Petroleum Congress, Doha, Qatar – 2011 & Moscow 2014
• Fundamentals of International Joint Ventures & Partnerships (organised by PETAN & Energy
and Corporate Africa, Houston, USA)
• Risk Management & Strategic Decisions Making in the Oil and Gas Industry (organised by
PETAN & Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Texas Southern University, Houston, USA)
• Comparative Study of Petroleum Contracts & Fiscal Terms (organised by EuroMoney Oil &
Gas Legal Training Group, London, UK)
• Numerous others.
Published & Unpublished Research and Papers
• ‘The Future of Oil, Gas & Power’: Nigeria Annual Review, 2012; published by the
International Financial Law Review (IFLR) series 2012.
• The Deregulation of the Downstream Sector: What Impact will it have on Financing and
Management of Refinery Projects in Nigeria? (LL.M Dissertation Material)
• The Petroleum Industry Bill and Deregulation of the Downstream Oil and Gas Sector in
Nigeria: What Prospects Lay Ahead?
• Nigeria’s abundant gas reserves and shortfall in electricity: An apparent case of under-
• The Nigerian Content Act: An Overview
• Nigeria’s Vast Gas Reserves: What Options are there for Adequate Utilization?
• The New CBN Cash-Less Policy: An Overview
• What will allow Gas Production Projects to be financed in the same way as Oil Projects?
• The Financing of Marginal Field Projects: Prospects & Challenges; What Options are
available in Nigeria?
• Third Party Access to infrastructure: What is Need and Greed?
• Pigovian Taxes: Can they be introduced for Funding Decommissioning of Oil & Gas
• Nigerian Bar Association (NBA)
• Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
• The Energy Institute, Nigeria & United Kingdom.
• Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG)
• London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
• Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Microsoft Office applications etc.
Other Skills & Abilities
• Work-flow management
• Excellent communication & team building skills
• Negotiation & alternative dispute resolution skills
• Strong inter-personal, leadership and peoples management skills.
Available on request.
Limited to discussion purposes only on grounds of confidentiality & non-disclosure