NASSCOM Infrastructure Management Summit 2013 - Autonomics: the new IT services paradigm
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - NASSCOM Infrastructure Management Summit 2013 - Autonomics: the new IT services paradigm
Infrastructure management of
tomorrow will be nothing like today
August 22, 2013
• 5000 years focus on subsistence
• 1800: arrival of technology. Automation
Knowledge engineering 200m
Infrastructure Management AaaS
• 77B 140b curve
Are We In the Midst of an IT Revolution?
How is IT Transforming?
Wave 1 Characteristics
15%-30% cost take out
Model is scalable to the extent that you
can scale labor
Custom/complex, legacy :“Your mess for
Access to Low Cost Labor necessary to
provide continuous value
Revenue/Profit correlated to People
Wave 2 Characteristics
60%-80% cost take out
Model is scalable and is largely
independent of labor growth
Transformative – New way of doing
Access to “Rocket Scientists” who can
codify manual processes
Revenue/Profit NOT correlated to People
What is the Technology Making this Shift
Can classic (script based manual)
automation keep pace?
Automation benefits for more
Cheaper to operate
56% of Exceptions in 1 in
Every 25 Fortune 1000
Is Autonomics Real?
• Largest investment bank: 91%
• Second largest credit card
• Largest banking institution: DB
• Largest network management
• Largest media company in US: DSC
Can Machines Think?
I propose to consider the question:
― Alan Turing, 1912-1954
• 2005 GOOS Summit: In 5 years classic ITO automation
• NASSCOM: BPO BPM, emphasizing intellectual
• 2013 Prediction: “In a decade we’d pass someone in the
corridor and not know if it’s a human or an android”
• Androids are coming!!
What Will Happen to Us?
What Happened to the Horse & Carriage Driver?
• Dystopian Utopian: constructive destruction
• Prepare for tomorrow: proactively
• ITO automation engineers
• Ultimate liberator
What Should the Country Do?
• Tiger by the tail: stay ahead of the curve Prosper: double
the market size
• Leader 4000 years follower in colonial period (200 years)
Must reassert its position as a leader again
• Shift from Cheaper Better