NATHAN HARTLEY-DC Operations-Dec 2015
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - NATHAN HARTLEY-DC Operations-Dec 2015
Areas of Expertise
Physical & Virtual
Power & Fire
Change & Risk
Team Leadership &
DC Layout Planning
2896 S 2300 E, Salt Lake City, Utah 84109 T:801.815.8901• E: email@example.com
SENIOR DATA CENTER OPERATIONS MANAGER with over 10 years of
experience in high-reliability data centers housing mission-critical servers for
global operations and Oracle Cloud/SAAS.
Skilled at managing the risks, stakeholder relationships, and resources involved
in leading major facility projects, including large-scale server installation,
relocation, reconfiguration, and decommissioning initiatives. Possesses a can
do attitude for making the impossible doable, and recognized as the go-to
person for finding elegant solutions for complex challenges. Adept at
identifying and capitalizing on opportunities to streamline operations, reduce
costs, mitigate risk and make better use of available resources.
DATA CENTER SENIOR IT MANAGER 2005 - Present
NT SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATION 2004 - 2005
Oracle Corporation (formerly Siebel Systems), Salt Lake City, Utah
• Originally engaged by Siebel Systems to assist with the migration of
worldwide servers into a centralized location; immediately established a
reputation for professionalism and astute judgment.
• Within three months, offered a permanent position in NT Systems
Administration, with responsibility for configuring, maintaining and
optimizing performance of a global pool of servers that are used by project
teams and lines of business around the world.
• With the acquisition of Siebel by Oracle Corporation in 2005, selected from
multiple candidates to manage operations, security and compliance for
Siebel’s main data center and a failover site.
• Manager of onsite server admins for all 3 US datacenters within Oracle’s
• As the senior manager on site, relied upon to handle performance and
employee relations matters for an additional 25 staff in five other teams.
• Authorizes all space allocation requests in the data center, and plans
infrastructure and layout for future allocations.
• Datacenter technical liaison for SAAS sales.
• Works with global staff in UK and India to streamline operational processes
and present metrics to upper management.
• Responsible for provisioning of all internal and infrastructure systems to
support Oracle’s on demand offering (Oracle Managed Cloud Services)
• Liaison between facilities and IT organizations.
Site Support for All US DCs
Federal On Demand
Global Windows Support
1,000 sqft Colo DC @ 4kw /
15,000 sqft DC @ 5kw /
25,000 sqft DC @ 8kw /
Aspects of 80,000 sqft @
Tools & Utilities
MS Visio and Office
• Developed a central repository of Standard Operating Procedures for the
configuration and installation of new server software, which became a
trusted resource for Service Request ticketing.
• Assisted SAN storage team with integration of blade center fabric
switches and windows clustering.
• Redesigned the data center layout to accommodate much higher density,
with a focus on hosting SAAS and customer environments.
• Developed processes, procedures, and standards for a new, state of the
art datacenter as well as managing multiple migrations to it.
• Championed and managed the shutdown of failover DC and the
relocation of servers to other Oracle DCs, saving the company $1M
annually in leasing costs with minimal impact on business continuity for
• Stepped up to the challenge of seamlessly migrating a server environment
from a California facility and preserving critical evidence for a $1.3B
copyright infringement suit as well as other, smaller suits.
• As the key contact with external auditors and corporate colleagues during
SAS70, PCI and HIPPA audits, hosted local site tours and ensured that all
compliance documentation was in order.
• Assisted with bringing a newly built datacenter online, including creating
processes and standards as well as proposals for effective staffing.
• Completed a project to create high security areas within a datacenter to
host federal environments (DOD, DOJ, NIST, ITAR).
• Created and lead tours for customer summit events, which are used to
assist closing high-dollar sales.
• Reported metrics and datacenter health statistics regularly to upper
• Proposed and assisted with changes and upgrades to increase capacity,
redundancy and resiliency of datacenter facilities and server
Order Lifecycle Management 2003 - 2004
Praxair Healthcare, Midvale, Utah
• Began in order reception as a contractor, but within a couple months
became overall coordinator for order fulfillment.
• Consolidated orders received electronically and from phone calls or fax
and managed delivery plans.
• Created a spreadsheet based intake form to be stored at a centralized location that was adopted by all
Utah branches of Praxair.
• Lead the charge to upgrade existing computer systems and migrate processes to utilize the newer
• Built and updated fulfillment procedures to be more efficient and reliable.