Nanocoatings and Nanoindentation
THIS PPT SHORTLY DEALS WITH CONCEPTS OF NANOCOATINGS AND NANOINDENTATION
Published on: Mar 3, 2016
Transcripts - Nanocoatings and Nanoindentation
PROCESS OF FABRICATING NANO-SURFACE
COATING AND METHODS
OF TESTING THEIR PROPERTIES
M.E. Adv. Materials
• Nano coatings : what and why?
• Materials used
-Small Case study- titanium dioxide
• Classification of nanocoatings.
• Different Processes used.
• Case study: coating of Bio-Implants
• Testing of nanocoating
• Nanocoating are coating that produced by usage of some
components at nanoscale to obtain desired properties.
• Nanocoatings can be categorized as nanocrystalline,
multilayer coatings with individual layer thickness of
• Nanostructured coatings offer great potential for various
applications due to their superior characteristics that are not
typically found in conventional coatings.
Titanium dioxide is hydrophilic due
to its high surface energy, hence
water does not form drops on a
surface coated with it, film instead.
Photo catalytic TiO2
absorbs UV radiation from
Produce pairs of
Electron of the valence
band of titanium dioxide
becomes excited when
illuminated by light.
The excess energy of this
excited electron promoted
the electron to the
conduction band of
titanium dioxide therefore
creating the negative-electron
(e-) and positive-hole
The positive-hole of TiO2
breaks apart the water
molecule to form hydrogen
gas and hydroxyl radical.
reacts with oxygen
molecule to form super
oxide anion. (Both known
oxidizing species and
can cause the
microbials pieces on
the particle surface.
MECHANISM of Self-cleaning photocatalytic
nanotitanium dioxide (TiO2)
The term ‘functional coatings’ describes systems which represent other than
the classical properties of a coating (decoration and protection). Functional
coating come up with additional functionality. This functionality depend
upon the actual application of a coated substrate.
Examples of functional coating Expectations of functional coatings
Easy-to clean (anti-graffiti)
• Functional coatings perform by means of physical, chemical, mechanical and
• Chemically active functional coatings perform their activities either at:
– Film–substrate interfaces (anticorrosive coatings),
– In the bulk of the film (fire-retardant or intumescent coatings)
– Air–film interfaces (antibacterial, self-cleaning)
Air/ Film interfaces
Bulk film properties
• Under specific
This process provides
a useful means for
at the nanoscale. http://nimet.ufl.edu/nanomed.asp
SNAP Coating System
Preparation of SNAP (Self-Assembled Nanophase
SNAP SOLUTION MIXING
Cross-linking agent Surfactant
Fig. Schematic representation of sol-gel process of synthesis of nano-materials
1. SNAP solutions were prepared by drop-wise addition of 42.8 ml
glycidoxypropyltrimethoxysilane (GPTMS) and 8.9 ml
tetramethoxysilane (TMOS) to 64.8 ml solution of 0.05 M acetic
acid in doubly distilled deionized (DDI) water.
2. The application solutions were prepared by diluting the aged
SNAP solution with water and subsequent addition of a
crosslinking agent (DETA) and surfactant.
3. The final mixture was vigorously stirred and applied to the cleaned
aluminum alloy panels by dip-coating.
Chemical vapour deposition-CVD
• Atomic layer
Physical vapour deposition-PVD
• Electron beam
• Cathodic arc
• ION BEAM
• High velocity
• Arc spray
Chemical and electrochemical
• Solgel process
Physical vapour deposition-PVD
• PVD is a process of transferring growth species from a source or
target and deposit them on a substrate to form a film.
• The process proceeds atomistically and mostly involves no chemical
• In general, those methods can be divided into two groups:
evaporation and sputtering.
– In evaporation, the growth species are removed from the source by thermal
– In sputtering, atoms or molecules are dislodged from solid target through
impact of gaseous ions (plasma).
• Each group can be further divided into a number of methods,
depending on specific techniques applied to activate the source or
target atoms or molecules and the deposition conditions applied.
• Sputtering is to use energetic ions to knock atoms or molecules
out from a target that acts as one electrode and subsequently
deposit them on a substrate acting as another electrode
Plastic dip coating
Dipping Wet layer
Stages of the dip coating process: dipping of the substrate into the coating
solution, coating of substrate (wet layer ) by solvent evaporation
Processing or coating for organic
• Fast cycling Coater for
SiO2, TiO2, Ta2O5
• For multi-layers and
Nano-coatings the thought and the actions- Riccardo DeSalvo, Shiuh Chao et al.
- National Tsing Hua University in Taiwan
Processing for inorganic and hard coating
• Conductive nanocoating on textiles
atomic layer deposition(VCD)
Exchangeable twin target holder
Kaufman-type ion beam sputter system
in a class 100 clean compartment within
a class 10,000 clean room
Previously used to develop low-loss
mirror coatings for ring-laser gyroscope
Sputter target and rotator
Kaufman ion gun and neutrali2z5er
Implantable Materials - Coatings
For: Catheters, heart valves, artificial hips
Implants confuse the cells responsible for tissue regeneration and causes
the body to react as if it had encountered foreign material.
The body's natural response to foreign material is to wall it off with scar-like
tissue. This reaction can disrupt device performance.
Nanocoatings in the
exact shape of
specific proteins can
protect devices from
© 2003 by Glenn Fishbine
• Indentor used: Berkovich diamond indenter
– 3 sided pyramidal shape
– Tip radius 50-100nm
• We plot P-h curve
• We use H= hardness of indentor,
– In conventional tests A is the projected area at
– In nano-indentation A is area function
• G. Cao, Nanomaterials, Imperial college press
• J. Malzbender et al Measuring mechnical
properties of Coatings, Reports, Elsevier
To end my presentation..
• My Family- For Providing Resources Like Laptop, Money Etc.
• You all- for being here and listening to me with patience.
• Last but not the least- The GOOGLE and student and
research community across the world for providing
knowledge and content for free access.