Press Releases in the Digital Age
Press releases used to be for reaching members of the news media. They still are, but they've also found a new home with digital marketing. By writing and distributing newsworthy press releases, organizations can enhance their SEO and engage with existing and potential customers online.
Published on: Mar 4, 2016
Transcripts - Press Releases in the Digital Age
Press Releases in the
What is a Press Release?
• A press release is an announcement or statement
written primarily for members of the news media,
including reporters, editors and (increasingly)
• While the intention of a press release is to gain
media coverage for an individual or organization,
today there are a number of reasons to regularly
develop and distribute them.
Press Releases: Before
• In years past, press releases allowed businesses
and PR professionals to form relationships with
journalists and gain positive coverage in
newspapers, magazines and TV/radio news
• PR professionals would create press releases and
send them out to the media, in hopes that
reporters would write a story about an
Press Releases Today
While press releases are still important to a cohesive
media relations strategy, they have found a new role in
• Now organizations can create press releases and
distribute them online, enhancing their search
engine optimization (SEO).
• They can also use email and online distribution
wires to reach journalists and bloggers across the
U.S. and around the world.
Press Release Distribution
• Most companies choose to distribute their press
releases through a national distribution service,
such SBWire, PRWeb, PR Newswire or
• By doing so, you can include links, images,
videos, audio and more, while targeting your
release to certain types of publications.
• This gives you the ability to expose your release
to hundreds of thousands — or even millions —
of people worldwide.
What Makes a Good
First, a press release needs to have a newsworthiness. The
following are four primary elements that make an announcement
• Timing: You should be announcing something that recently
happened or is about to happen.
• Impact: The announcement should affect a significant
number of people, such as your staff members or customers.
• Prominence: The subject of your release should involve
someone of significance, such as an executive, public official
or other high-profile individual.
• Proximity: Many releases have a local impact, such as the
opening of a new retail location in a specific city or town.
Note: Your press release does NOT need to contain all four of these
elements, but should have at least one.
What Makes a Good
Like any good news article, a press release
should address the “five W’s.”
• What happened?
• When did it occur?
• Where did it happen?
• Who was involved?
• Why did it occur?
Working with a Professional
Most organizations choose to hire a professional
copywriter to create their press releases. These
• Know how to write releases that grab the
attention of journalists and target audiences
• Can incorporate the right keywords to
enhance a release’s SEO value
• Write in AP Style and the “inverted pyramid”
format, which reporters and editors know and
How ProPRcopy Can Help
• Access to a team of copywriters and editors
who have years of experience in journalism,
public relations and communications
• We have written thousands of press releases
for businesses and organizations across
• We help distribute your press release to local,
regional and national media markets
For more information, contact ProPRcopy: